"I walk into the bathroom in my Norwegian basement, there is dead spiders in the sink and the entire place stinks of ammonia, strewn around the floor is half eaten soap bars. I urinate in silence; This isn't fanfiction, it's reality"Mozumi Pichi

Vidya Games Thread

Harrow Prime

Not Like Before.
Early Adopter
Kronii's Husband
They're a different style of game compared to the post-World experience. More fantasy hunting sim to RiseBreak's spectacle fighter. Slower with more autism tied up in fight preparation and utilising the environment and grinding advantages out of subsystems.
I mean the latter was kind of what I was expecting when I first bought World, and the systems that were thrown in my face in GU certainly overwhelmed me at first. I'll check both of them in the future when I get the chance.
But yeah, the combat felt surprisingly different. It's not bad by any means, but it does take some getting used to after playing so much World and Rise. I got my ass handed to me by a Nibelsnarf before I had to stop playing.

Just A Plant

Lurkin
Early Adopter
I've been playing games that are on the shorter side recently and as a big Metroidvania fan I really enjoyed Touhou Luna Nights and Record of Lodoss War -Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth-, I ended up 100%ing both games' maps and secrets.

Luna Nights took me around 8 hours to beat and it has a couple of really interesting mechanics:
  • You can stop time for a bit to set up attacks or get to safer ground, which allows the game to ramp up its difficulty quite a bit compared to other games of the same genre.
  • You have to graze the enemies to get HP and mana back. You get mana when grazing while time is stopped and HP when doing it normally, creating an interesting risk/reward system.
Here's a small clip of one of the boss fights:
View attachment lunanights.mp4

Lodoss War took me a bit less than 6 hours and the central mechanic of the game is based on the Ikaruga-like ability to change what kind of magic youre using, making you resistant to the specific element you're using. Here's another clip:
deedlit.gif

Both games are short enough to not overstay their welcome and keep a good pace throughout their entire lengths. They're also on Game Pass, if you happen to have that.

Last edited:

paul

Early Adopter
I recommend The Forgotten City

Started as a highly acclaimed Skyrim mod from 1 guy before he quit his job, hired more people and made it a whole new game. I don't want to spoil anything storywise since it's best to play without prior knowledge, but if you like story driven games with good writing you should give it a try. I personally loved it, one of my favorite games in the last years.

DrStupid

Resident Undertaker
Early Adopter
So... Remember how acti-blizz sold their souls to the CCP?
They're closing down their online servers in china because their deal with NetEase ended.
archive

Activision Blizzard said on Thursday it was unable to reach a deal to renew a licensing agreement with NetEase, one of China’s largest game developers and publishers, which has distributed the games in the country for years.

Activision Blizzard will need new game licences from the government if it finds a new partner, which may take months or even years,

Affected games include World of Warcraft, the StarCraft series, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch. New sales of the titles will be halted in the coming days, with the servers that support online play likely to be turned off in January when the current deal expires.

The two companies have a separate agreement covering Diablo Immortal, a mobile game that has proven particularly popular in China since its launch this summer. It will not be affected by the dispute.

:whatastory:

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
I'm playing three different games right now, because ADHD.

The first is Dot Hack G.U. Last Recode (currently finishing up the Books of Ryu for Vol 2 before moving onto Vol 3). There's a bunch of cutscenes, which kind of gets on my nerves because I usually play games while listening to streams, but other than that, I've been really enjoying it. Even if the dungeons are all really same-y, I don't really get bored of going through them, and I enjoy the gameplay, characters, and story. Not a surprise, since these games were some of my favorite games of all time. Definitely recommended.

The second is Shadows Over Loathing, the most recent addition to the "Loathing" series. The first being Kingdom of Loathing, an old browser-based game from the early 2000s, and the second being West of Loathing. It's been ages since I last played the first one, but I can highly recommend the second and third. The art is all hand-drawn and pretty basic, but the story, characters, and comedy all more than make up for it. Like I said, highly recommended.

The third is Golf Story. It's okay. I've been enjoying it, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone who wasn't already thinking that it looks like something they'd enjoy. Then again, I'm not that far into the game yet, so maybe I just need to play it for a bit longer.

I've also heard really good things about the new Pokemon games from a friend of mine who does game reviews. It's kind of a hybrid between Arceus and a regular Pokemon game. That is, it's open-world, but the battles are normal turn-based battles.

Fucking YTs

I just want to annoy people in peace.
Early Adopter
While I don't really have any recommendations since I'm mostly emulator/retro gamer I would like to say I love the Steam Deck. I bought the base model and waited for half a year for it to arrive and found out quickly that even with a 1tb micro SD card the internal 64gb storage gets filled up by shader caches. So, I bit the bullet and upgraded it myself with a 1 TB internal SSD.

Things I recommend:
  • Emudeck. Pretty much the easiest way to install emulators. I recommend this guide (Youtube / Writen guide)
  • If you want to extend the functionality in Gaming mode, Decky loader is great.
  • If you want to turn it into a Linux development machine, Distrobox is also great.
  • Here is a guide on how to get the best performance of out of the deck.
  • You can also ignore the compatibility on the Steam page for the much more complete ProtonDB.

Last edited:

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
Executive: This game is going to take place in an european-inspired setting...
Gamefreak: Blonde people with tuxedos, lots of stone castles, buildings look like the Palace of Versailles, gotcha.

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
I'm mostly emulator/retro gamer
Oh, that reminds me. I've also been emulating the 2D Final Fantasy games. I and II are pretty fun. Obviously don't expect much from them. I wasn't a fan of the toad/mini areas in III, but I other than those I enjoyed it. IV was great, and it definitely shows that this is where Square started really getting their feet under them when it comes to story-telling. V, the one that I'm currently playing, is absolutely fantastic. Great combination of gameplay, story, and characters.

Fucking YTs

Early Adopter
Oh, that reminds me. I've also been emulating the 2D Final Fantasy games. I and II are pretty fun. Obviously don't expect much from them. I wasn't a fan of the toad/mini areas in III, but I other than those I enjoyed it. IV was great, and it definitely shows that this is where Square started really getting their feet under them when it comes to story-telling. V, the one that I'm currently playing, is absolutely fantastic. Great combination of gameplay, story, and characters.
If you're enjoying that - I rarely recommend YouTubers - but SNESDrunk does a good job going over hidden gems from the Famicom & SNES era, including Fan translated games. I've found quite a few RPGs I've missed over the years watching his channel.

Also, just to throw this out there, the best forgotten fighting game ever is Waku Waku 7 for the Neo Geo.

agility_

Early Adopter
Which is more forgotten: Waku Waku or Galaxy Fight.
Neither. It's Aggressors of Dark Kombat. NOBODY played that thing.

Reactions: Icy

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
If you're enjoying that - I rarely recommend YouTubers - but SNESDrunk does a good job going over hidden gems from the Famicom & SNES era, including Fan translated games. I've found quite a few RPGs I've missed over the years watching his channel.

Also, just to throw this out there, the best forgotten fighting game ever is Waku Waku 7 for the Neo Geo.
Looks interesting. I'll have to check it out when I've got some time. Always need new retro games to play.

Fucking YTs

Early Adopter
Which is more forgotten: Waku Waku or Galaxy Fight.
Neither. It's Aggressors of Dark Kombat. NOBODY played that thing.
"Play time: 0." oof. You maybe right.
Screenshot 2022-11-18 142742.jpg

Godzilla1984

Early Adopter
I've long since abandoned Pokémon.
That being said, everyone and their dog playing the new ones has given me the itch.
Something I've been meaning to try out is coincidentally on sale right now:
Nexomon for like $5.
Hard to say no to that.

Bozu

Those who sow in tears shall reap in joy.
Early Adopter
God, I remember back when I was in high school there was this arcade with a lot of niche and old games, one of them being waku waku 7, its such a silly, unbalanced but fun game.
Back when the point was to fuck around and have fun instead of being omega autist and trying to optimize everything.

Fucking YTs

Early Adopter
God, I remember back when I was in high school there was this arcade with a lot of niche and old games, one of them being waku waku 7, its such a silly, unbalanced but fun game.
Back when the point was to fuck around and have fun instead of being omega autist and trying to optimize everything.
That game (I think I had the shitty Sega Saturn port) and Project Justice (Rival Schools 2) for the Dreamcast were my favorite fighting games. Really fun games.

I wanted a Neo Geo so bad, but it was $700 in 90s money. There was just no way. I remember you could save your game to a card on the arcade machine and resume it on the fucking console. That was some next level shit back then.

Godzilla1984

Early Adopter

Fucking YTs

Early Adopter
I bought this just now if that's the Pokémon rip off you recommended.

Don't kill me... I've never played a Pokémon game before. I seem to have played EVERYTHING but one of the most popular franchises ever.

E: in my defense Quake & Diablo came out the same year and I was way to busy playing those.

Last edited:

Godzilla1984

Early Adopter
I bought this just now if that's the Pokémon rip off you recommended.

Don't kill me... I've never played a Pokémon game before. I seem to have played EVERYTHING but one of the most popular franchise ever.
I've been playing Pokémon since 1996.
The writing so far in Nexomon is so over-the-top silly I love it.

agility_

Early Adopter
It will never happen but how do I wish Crowbcat made a 40 minute long video on the downfall of effort a.k.a. the pokemon franchise.

That Chuuba Enjoyer

DM me if you have a Ed, Edd n Eddy clip
Early Adopter
Top Bottom