"I don't want to be a dog, but when I talk I sound like an animal"Enna Alouette (speaking Mandarin)

The Anime Thread

Ensok

Early Adopter
The original Spice and Wolf anime is quite possibly my favorite of all time so I'm not sure about watching this new version. I've already read the novels anyways.

Still, maybe we'll finally get that season 3 now.

Seth

Fubuki's Best Friendo
I was going to ask you weebs if Frieren was worth the watch since i keep hearing about it. But just reading the last few posts gave me the general answer i would get. Probably gonna start it during the weekend.
I ended up watching the entire thing in one go. I am not someone harsh when it comes to anime, i enjoy most anime as long as it doesnt start getting too weird. But man, its been a while since i felt this invested in a story. I might even rewatch it which is something i never did with an anime. This is some good shit.

Tubedude

Youtube recommended me a clip of Frieren, I decided to watch it without rolling my eyes at 130 mph.

In it, a demonette girl is facing off against the elf mage, exchanging chuunibyo cringe dialogue. They measure their powerlevel using a literal scale. As the demonette approaches our sylvan protagonist, the scale begins to tip in favor of her, and upon realizing this, she reveals in fact that she is not hundreds of years old, but thousands. Then she orders the demonette to khs, which she does with a sword, and walks off camera.

This shit is what you fellas can't shut up about? This is the state of anime? I fucking despise myself for having watched that and it was only over 2 minutes.
Way to make anitubers seem like philosophers, at least they have the decency to watch the whole entire first episode before claiming the entire current industry is trash.
I didn't HATE it, just don't get the hype.
In terms of plot and genre, FMA:B is my favorite anime, so make of that what you will.

My priorities for animation are:
1. Plot/themes
2. Characters/worldbuilding
3. Animation/sound
IMO, Freiren hits some aspect of all of those priorities hard.
While it does hit on some of those priorities pretty hard I believe Nenelove's list more so meant things that he could get into and characters he could feel invested in; obviously Frieren's execution left him wanting.

46gumi

Forever Siro's Punching Bag
I could never understand the appeal of  Megalobox. I mean, a boxing anime? Sure, I get that. Boxing with robot arms? I'm afraid you've lost me.

I did like the art style. The character designs are like a love letter to Cowboy Bebop and other shows from the late 1990s.

Even funnier is that the robot arms added fucking nothing to it. The punches in Hajime no Ippo looked more painful and all they added were wind effects and jet engine sounds.

Koronesuki

X-Potato
Even funnier is that the robot arms added fucking nothing to it.
Exactly! They could have left out the robot arms and just made it a show about regular boxing. That would have improved it without removing anything important at all.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
I could never understand the appeal of  Megalobox. I mean, a boxing anime? Sure, I get that. Boxing with robot arms? I'm afraid you've lost me.

I did like the art style. The character designs are like a love letter to Cowboy Bebop and other shows from the late 1990s.
almost like bloodsports are inherently nonsensical.

electronic elephant

"I am uncontrollable. I cannot be managed."—Vesper
Early Adopter
Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu season 2 ended today. I prefer the manga version of a few of the episodes, but overall it was a good adaptation that preserved what I like about the manga.

I'm kind of annoyed that the studio felt like they needed to spell things out for the viewer so much in the last two episodes, though. Most of these anime-original scenes felt like they came from a lesser, more generic anime melodrama, especially when Ichikawa has an extended internal monologue being sad that Yamada is going to miss her audition.

Kazuma

Early Adopter
Even funnier is that the robot arms added fucking nothing to it. The punches in Hajime no Ippo looked more painful and all they added were wind effects and jet engine sounds.
We need another season of Hajime no Ippo.
Come on Madhouse :depressedtako:

46gumi

Forever Siro's Punching Bag
We need another season of Hajime no Ippo.
Come on Madhouse :depressedtako:

It's a crime that to this day, Mashiba vs Sawamura hasn't been animated yet

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
Part four of Das Finale is out.

Renmai

Shiori, what the fuck are you talking about?
Early Adopter
Exactly! They could have left out the robot arms and just made it a show about regular boxing. That would have improved it without removing anything important at all.
iirc Megalobox is losely based on some old famous boxing manga and anime something something no Joe (edit: Ashita No Joe) but with robot arms.

Ashita No Joe was popular among Japan's leftists back in the day.
The manga was very popular, having sold over 20 million copies after its serialization.[16] Also, during its serialization, it was particularly popular with working-class people and college students who were involved in the New Left, who saw themselves likewise struggling against the system like Joe Yabuki did and revered him as an icon.[17] An example of this New Left influence were the members of the Japanese Red Army who took part in the Yodogo hijacking in 1970 and compared themselves to Joe as they saw a revolutionary message in the manga. During the hijack, they shouted "We are tomorrow's Joe!".[18][19][20]

Last edited:

Koronesuki

X-Potato
iirc Megalobox is losely based on some old famous boxing manga and anime something something no Joe (edit: Ashita No Joe) but with robot arms.

Yes, I know this. The part I don't understand is the robot arms.
Ashita No Joe was popular among Japan's leftists back in the day.

I did not know this. I can't say I know much about Japanese politics of the 60s and 70s.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

It's the first episode. It's pretty magical. Then it's just a standard Boxing Anime that had enough plot for 8 eps but needed to stretch it further.

Renmai

Shiori, what the fuck are you talking about?
Early Adopter
Well shit, the first episode of Spice and Wolf was not bad at all. Music is enchanting and Holo is sassy and also enchanting. Hope they keep it up.

edit: fixed some grammar

Last edited:

Koronesuki

X-Potato
They kept the same voice cast as the original, right? I might have to check it out. I don't usually watch remakes, but the new Fruits Basket anime was good.

Nenélove

Dying from mexican sickness
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
They kept the same voice cast as the original, right? I might have to check it out. I don't usually watch remakes, but the new Fruits Basket anime was good.
They made a new fruits basket? HERESY!

Koronesuki

X-Potato
They made a new fruits basket? HERESY!
The original anime only told about a third of the story. (The manga wasn't finished yet when it was made.) The new version adds two more seasons and tells the whole story.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
New version is more complete (although it skips the backstory of Tohru's parents), and is competently done, but lacks the comedic skill of the original as well as Ritsuko Okazaki (RIP).

Koronesuki

X-Potato
New version is more complete (although it skips the backstory of Tohru's parents), and is competently done, but lacks the comedic skill of the original as well as Ritsuko Okazaki (RIP).
There's a movie that adapts the skipped chapters with her parents' backstory, but I haven't seen it.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
Top Bottom