"Why do Canadians name their currency after cartoons? Your country's a joke"Nanashi Mumei

The Music Thread

Schockwellenreiter

I can make her worse.
YouTube algorithm once again blessing me, been a while since I've heard Alestorm. Banger cover of a Runescape track, you love to see it

I've got to be honest, I prefer their first two albums before they decided to get all ironic.
They really should have left the tongue in cheek songs for the bonus tracks.
I know they already addressed this criticism in one of their songs but the more of their new releases I hear the more I think the criticism is correct.

Helmet-kun

I can't stop repeating words in longposts :(

Been listening to Blood Sweat and Tears recently, the trumpet is so good. And the fucking samba break in the middle of this song is so damn CREATIVE I can't even contain myself

blackblur187

ultimate edgelord

fern_._

soft armpits
This is a pretty good song from Jeff Rosenstock’s punk rock albumWe Cool?. The album as a whole deals with themes of growing up from the perspective of someone who’s already gone through their adolescence. I really recommend the album as a whole; the themes are mature and the instrumentation goes insanely hard.

Another song from the same album.

Helmet-kun

For the chiptune/video game music enjoyers in here, this is the OST for Time Trax, arguably the best Genesis soundtrack in existence. I'm actually not a big fan of the Genesis chip: no one really knew how to work with it at the time it was released, and even now it has some very specific restrictions that don't benefit most of the music made with it in my opinion. But, this soundtrack was written by Tim Follin, one of the most talented songwriters in the early gaming era, and that makes the difference. This soundtrack is Follin at the peak of his powers: FFS he literally invented a way to make the Genesis sound good for a crap game that wasn't even released. This video has both the 60hz (what it would sound like on a US Genesis) and 50 hz (PAL Genesis), but IMO 50 hz is much better overall.

Helmet-kun

In honor of Maid Mint's return. This is unironically better than the original song btw

EDIT: I should probably post an actual original song by Niel Cicierega because 90% of his remixes are bad memes despite the fact that the guy has an immense lyrical talent

Last edited:

AO Cody

Go read Cloudscratcher
Early Adopter
If you haven't heard of Lordi before, you're about to.

Lordi is straight-up Evil Dead as a metal band. They perform in elaborate costumes as monster characters with big fancy backstories (and even had some cheesy horror movies and comics drawn by the lead singer), their lyrics are 90% B-horror themed, and their music videos are all short B-horror movies. If you've never heard of them before, this is THE video to sample. In terms of the lyrics, sound, and music video, it's the best encapsulation of Lordi you can get.

Basically what Sabaton is to war history, Lordi is to Halloween (fittingly, the two have toured together). There's a recurring rule of thumb to their songs, too, that the cornier/cheesier the song's title, the more ass it's bound to kick.

But that's not even the best part; playing into the theme that they're a band of immortal monsters, and thus the idea that they've been around forever, Lordi released an album called Killection. A fictional "best of" album with the idea that Lordi has always been around. So it features songs supposedly from the 60's, 70's, 80's, etc. What's amazing about this album is how well they imitate the sound of each of these decades while mixing it with their Halloween-metal sound. The album is really fun, too, having a storyline throughout that you're actually listening to a radio station playing these songs, and playing these songs in this particular order opens the gates of Hell. 10/10 album, go check it out now if you can.

This nails that 80's rock band cheese-ballad sound so perfectly I smiled the whole way through it the first time I heard it.

And to make it even better, during the lockdowns when they couldn't tour, how did they spend their time? Well they looked at Killection and said "hey, we have all this extra time now, let's make those albums." So, they went harder into the kayfabe-within-a-kayfabe and released an entire box set of albums called "Lordiversity" that were the ones the bands made in these previous decades. A 60's album, 70's album, etc. etc. All at once. Even including the tracks from Killection, with the sound tweaked to sound like they were actually recorded in that era. I've never seen a band do something this cool.

If you're browsing this thread, drop what you're doing and listen to this shit.

Last edited:

fern_._

soft armpits

Just wanted to share this banger. It’s from Flight of the Knife by Bryan Scary and the Shredding Tears, who are somewhat obscure, but their sound is quite similar to the Beatles’s early discography. I highly recommend that you give it a listen.

GOD'S STRONGEST BUILDERBEAR

"Shut up, Dazzle. I will clip your balls" -SB
Early Adopter
Heres a dump of minecraft creative mode music

NotDecatto

DYRBI
Hikaru Utada is streaming on YT the MVs from her 4th compilation album that's being released today.

Track listing

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman

mili introduced me to project moon

ScarletCorrupt

Awawawawa (derogatory)
Here, have a banger AI song about how shit Diablo 4 is :Vesper-UNHINGED:

BioBreak

You gonna eat that?
Early Adopter
I'm just gonna drop this here. Utada Hikaru still dropping bangers:

Awoogers

limbus dropped the final part for the recent canto and mili fucking cooked a banger
again

ScarletCorrupt

Awawawawa (derogatory)
limbus dropped the final part for the recent canto and mili fucking cooked a banger
again

Damn that's fucking nice. Every single thing I've heard that has Mili in it absolutely slaps, I'm glad that is still the case.

Haven't listened to much music lately, but you can never go wrong with some classic fucking Primus. My dad introduced me to them decades ago, been a fan ever since.
metalhead-fauna.gif

Awoogers

Damn that's fucking nice. Every single thing I've heard that has Mili in it absolutely slaps, I'm glad that is still the case.

Haven't listened to much music lately, but you can never go wrong with some classic fucking Primus. My dad introduced me to them decades ago, been a fan ever since.
metalhead-fauna.gif

Ever since listening to string theocracy back when ruina first released I fucking loved milis music which by extension made me fall in love with project moon as a whole

They don't miss

Helmet-kun

For the people in here who can't play guitar, what Robert Smith does in this video is about as difficult as tap-dancing on a land mine without setting it off. It's insane, this song is a fairly difficult ragtime piece written for piano and the dude manages to pull off a live solo performance on a six string guitar.

Guys, he fucking tunes from standard to drop D in the middle of the song, on time, as part of the song, and it works. HOW

AO Cody

Go read Cloudscratcher
Early Adopter
Fuck yeah, Primus! Gotta mention the fact that Les Claypool, among his other talents as a frontman, is also one of the greatest bass players of all time. That is not a hyperbolic way of saying he's one of my favorites, I mean he is one of the greatest players of the instrument ever recorded. Possibly the best.

blackblur187

ultimate edgelord

AO Cody

Go read Cloudscratcher
Early Adopter
K-os too? Whole lot of based taste in this thread lately.

Top Bottom