"I shook Sakana down for the gym memberships, I made a whole point, -'Imagine, fishman, if there was 20% less Sad Girl Energy and nobody takes breaks... there's 30% less breaks across the board'- and the managers backed me up like 'YEAH SHE'S RIGHT YOU KNOW' hahahaha"Amanogawa Shiina

Vidya Games Thread

John Vtuber👁️

Sentient Eyeball, Primarch of Hag Pride Worldwide
Certified Manwhore
Gundam Breaker 4 is now available for pre-order, releasing August 28th, just in time for tax returns, and anime women making impulse purchases to fuel their addiction. the big dick edition is cheaper than most sought-after GunPla, which should be justification enough to get it, though if you're that far in the sickness there may be no helping you:

Do you often think about the glory of Rome? Rebuild it to its former glory in Arthurian legend and turn-based tactics (trigger warning: british):

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Looks like the specs for the Switch 2 might have leaked.

Rough comparisons (credit Neoxon):
• Handheld: Right above PS4* before DLSS
• Docked: Between PS4 Pro* & Xbox Series S* before DLSS with more modern hardware than the former
• RAM: Slower than PS5 & XSX|S in speed, but more capacity than XSS. Should have 10.5-11 GB of RAM available to games going by the Switch 1's RAM allotment for its OS.
• Storage: UFS 3.1 max speeds should be a hair under XSX|S (2.1 GB/s vs. 2.4 GB/s)

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
Looks like the specs for the Switch 2 might have leaked.

If its truly a portable PS4 and comparable to a Pro when Docked then it should be pretty great even in comparison to steam decks, atleast a tiny bit more

God's Wingiest Winger

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
Yeah those specs look tight. Nowhere near my computer of course, but having a Xbox One X I think its safe to say that even games coming down in the pipeline aren't gonna use any of my computers power anyway. So IMO that could be another solid Nintendo hardware outing

Negzana

Yeah those specs look tight. Nowhere near my computer of course, but having a Xbox One X I think its safe to say that even games coming down in the pipeline aren't gonna use any of my computers power anyway. So IMO that could be another solid Nintendo hardware outing
Only thing that matters for me is if it has a decent battery, doesn't feel like I'm holding a radiator, no joycon drift, and it has reverse compatibility

God's Strongest Dragoon

Considering how everyone is refusing to make the jump to PS5 exclusivity and instead releasing to multi-gen, a slightly beefed up PS4 in terms of specs is really great. If it can truly maintain that quality in handheld, it's going to be wild.

I'm more interested in what they plan to release for launch. The next Mario Kart is pretty obvious. We're likely going to get a new Mario game too. Zelda is completely out of the picture though with how long they take. Hopefully we'll get Metroid Prime 4 or a Metroid Trilogy Remaster. That new Pokemon Kalos game should be next year.

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
If its truly a portable PS4 and comparable to a Pro when Docked then it should be pretty great even in comparison to steam decks, atleast a tiny bit more

Considering how everyone is refusing to make the jump to PS5 exclusivity and instead releasing to multi-gen, a slightly beefed up PS4 in terms of specs is really great. If it can truly maintain that quality in handheld, it's going to be wild.
The specs are already looking totally sick. But add in the rumors it's using a custom NVIDIA chip that'll run the latest version of DLSS and this thing might be an absolute beast of a console. It makes me excited to see what this console's equivalent of Xenoblade Chronicles will be able to wring out of that thing.
I'm more interested in what they plan to release for launch. The next Mario Kart is pretty obvious. We're likely going to get a new Mario game too. Zelda is completely out of the picture though with how long they take. Hopefully we'll get Metroid Prime 4 or a Metroid Trilogy Remaster. That new Pokemon Kalos game should be next year.
I agree on Mario Kart. They'll probably try to do another party game like Mario Party as well since it's been a while since one of those was release.

I'm kinda hoping that Bowser's Fury was a proof of concept like people believe, and the next generation of Mario game is built off of that framework. I thought it was an amazing idea and would love to see it expanded upon.

Regarding Zelda though, I wouldn't put it past them to put out a B-Team game that's either a whole new 2D Zelda, or maybe give the "Link's Awakening" treatment to the Oracle Zelda game boy games.

Maybe if we're lucky we'll get another legacy game that hasn't gotten a new one in a while like Donkey Kong Country? Either way, I'm crossing my fingers.

God's Strongest Dragoon

Maybe if we're lucky we'll get another legacy game that hasn't gotten a new one in a while like Donkey Kong Country? Either way, I'm crossing my fingers.
The Mother/Earthbound series is pretty much just sitting there, waiting for them to break the glass in case of emergency.

Stunned But Dumb

Saturnus

haha it's unou
SMT V Vengeance news. Bunch of cool shit they're showing off in this last video (not including the demon showcases) before release in June.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't decide to save Splatoon 3 for the Switch's successor. Splatoon sells pretty well and a lot of the problems that I've seen people complain about in 3 could've been addressed with better hardware and more dev time. And not having the new horizons team work on it.

ScarletCorrupt

Awawawawa (derogatory)
The Dark Souls franchise is currently 50% off until May 16th.
If you've never played the games, they're definitely worth picking up.
yes even DS2, it's still fun even if I don't like it very much

Abomination

The abominable amalgamation known as "chyaaat!"
And here I picked up DS3 and the DLCs for full price about two weeks ago...

Thinking about it, it's the first time I've bought a years-old game at full price in a very long time. At the very least, it's worth it.

I stayed away from the Souls games for a long time for various reasons. When I was originally made aware of Dark Souls a long time ago, it was told to me as if they were a rage game, and I don't enjoy those, so I ignored it. More than that, though, I can't stand the fanbase. Never could and still can't. However, I finally made the dive a few months ago, and I've definitely been enjoying it.

1 (the remaster) is great. Started a second playthrough immediately after beating it. Can definitely see myself going back to it from time to time.

2 is okay. I don't hate it like others, though unlike what some people say, I found the DLCs to be the worst part of the experience. The DLC bosses were mostly great and better than the ones in the base game, but everything aside from the bosses was worse than the problems people have with the base game. In fact, I finally gave up on getting through the Frigid Wastelands. Wasn't worth the frustration.

Close to finishing 3, and I enjoy it. Definitely took getting used to how fluid and fast it is coming from 2, but it's been fun. Will definitely be going through it again with another build once I'm done with my first run.

Helmet-kun

I can't stop repeating words in longposts :(
DS2 is the best one damn it, I'll go to my grave fighting for that game.

-has the best PVP and combat of any souls game to date because practically every weapon and build is viable with the right buffs, sorcery is great but balanced, POWERSTANCING IS A THING

-most varied environments in a souls series until Elden Ring came out (3 is ugly as sin until you get out of the catacombs, the entire color pallette is very slightly varying shades of greasy grey and orange)

-turns DS1's gravelording into an entire New Game + exclusive experience, gives the game an immense amount of replayability

-Has interesting covenants and multiplayer mechanics(unlike DS3), you can literally force other players into an over the top comedic villain dungeon complete with spike walls and buzzsaws shooting out of walls, you can get summoned to help a boss, you can do arena fights in a half dozen different locations with varying rules, etc.

-Has way more in-depth NPC questlines and trees compared to every souls game that isn't Elden Ring

-levels that actually punish you for trying to run through everything and ignoring all non-boss interactions

-story progression that isn't railroaded into particular routes, making player interactions much more consistent across the entire game

Soul Memory's existence is a valid problem, but the overall gameplay and ambience of 2 is so much fucking better than 3 that I don't care. 3 has some great bosses, but almost every actual (non-dlc) level is bland and forgettable. Meanwhile 1 is amazing but has a much smaller sandbox to play with as well as a bunch of jank (bed of chaos, for example). Elden Ring is a magical experience in single player, but it has balance issues and no real covenant gameplay, so multiplayer is dead unless the DLC fixes something.

Saturnus

haha it's unou
-has the best PVP and combat of any souls game to date because practically every weapon and build is viable with the right buffs, sorcery is great but balanced, POWERSTANCING IS A THING
I can't get a real full red-eye orb though. Yes I know I can farm shards. No I am not farming shards through PVP or the 3 hogs outside of the hub area.

:mikothumbsl:
-Has interesting covenants and multiplayer mechanics(unlike DS3), you can literally force other players into an over the top comedic villain dungeon complete with spike walls and buzzsaws shooting out of walls, you can get summoned to help a boss, you can do arena fights in a half dozen different locations with varying rules, etc.
I'm giving you this though. DS3 there's no reason to be a blue spirit outside of trying to farm an achievement. Everyone is either a sunbro or red with the occasional mad spirit thrown in as a toss-up.

2 ain't a shit game though. I dislike it but if Fromsoft gave it like a real honest Remaster and removed the fuckin locked rolling movement I'd give it a second chance. I quit after the rat dungeon or whatever btw because I had a skill issue with the torches.

Last edited:

ScarletCorrupt

Awawawawa (derogatory)
1 (the remaster) is great. Started a second playthrough immediately after beating it. Can definitely see myself going back to it from time to time.

2 is okay. I don't hate it like others, though unlike what some people say, I found the DLCs to be the worst part of the experience. The DLC bosses were mostly great and better than the ones in the base game, but everything aside from the bosses was worse than the problems people have with the base game. In fact, I finally gave up on getting through the Frigid Wastelands. Wasn't worth the frustration.

Close to finishing 3, and I enjoy it. Definitely took getting used to how fluid and fast it is coming from 2, but it's been fun. Will definitely be going through it again with another build once I'm done with my first run.
Glad to hear you've enjoyed taking the plunge.

The atmosphere in 1 really is unmatched, and I ended up going to NG+4 on my first playthrough, all in a row. Had a blast with that game. Not too long either, so fresh runs aren't bogged down with the setup that plagues Elden Ring for me.

I share a similar sentiment with DS2, and I enjoyed my time with it for the most part. As you said though, the final DLC is very rough. The Frigid Outskirts, affectionately known as HORSEFUCK VALLEY, is the most frustrating area in any of the souls/soulslike games in From's catalogue. The Ivory King's entrance to his fight is still cool as hell though.

Hope you enjoy the DLCs in 3, they're some of From's best work imo. I think the faster combat while different than the others, is a good evolution. Maybe that's just because I started with Bloodborne, and I adored the pace of fights in that game. What build did you run for 3? I always end up going either ultra-greatsword, or hybrid/buff spellsword.
My biggest gripe with DS2 is making changes that ultimately fell flat for me. A bunch of little things that add tiny annoyances, the locked 8 directional movement felt super weird for the first many hours of the game. When picking up DS, DS1, DS3, BB, or ER, I can just pick it up and go. But with DS2, I have to readjust to the slight movement difference which makes it harder for me to get into. Like I said, I still enjoyed it though.

I do agree on the area variety, getting to Dragon Aerie is fucking incredible for the first time. And obviously Majula is peak, one of my favorite hubs for sure.

Last edited:

God's Strongest Dragoon

Might check this out, I remember playing DS1 when it came to PC and quit when I got to Blighttown because it was super unoptimized and my computer was far weaker back then. I heard the Remaster has way better performance.

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
I fucking hate 2 but its not a shit game and i wouldnt shit on anyone for liking it, its an autism thing and the fact that Scholar's changes to enemy placement are beyond fucking stupid (early dull ember is nice though)
Hbomb's videos on it and Fo3 give me aids and anyone who takes those seriously is retarded

Helmet-kun

I can't stop repeating words in longposts :(
I fucking hate 2 but its not a shit game and i wouldnt shit on anyone for liking it, its an autism thing and the fact that Scholar's changes to enemy placement are beyond fucking stupid (early dull ember is nice though)
Hbomb's videos on it and Fo3 give me aids and anyone who takes those seriously is retarded
Fair point, SotFS has some really bad placements in NG. I'd argue it gets 10x better in a NG+ playthrough because that literally changes half the spawns in the game, but it's also true that you shouldn't have to play through a 90 hour game twice to have the best experience.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
Soul Memory's existence is a valid problem
Soul Memory is more of a brain worms issue than an actual effect on gameplay. Just play like it doesn't matter, use the silver serpent ring to turbocharge your ability to level (which no longer controls your matchmaking), and eventually the matchmaking bands are so broad that they're effectively meaningless outside of preventing you from matching with an early-game player as a late-game player.

BlueSharkTV

Fucking Riggers
Early Adopter
Yuria's Husband
Might check this out, I remember playing DS1 when it came to PC and quit when I got to Blighttown because it was super unoptimized and my computer was far weaker back then.
funny enough, in the console version it's just as bad but you can still make it through no problem if you only face the wall or the floor, which considering how bad the whole place looks you are not missing much. I had like 4 different builds and NG+ 7 or higher because I wanted a lot of things you only get one per NG, pretty good game, shame the series only got weirder with every game after and I will always blame the fanbase.

Top Bottom