"Would gladly offer my tako sausage to her in exchange for her to drop the f-bomb on me before bed"Ninomae Ina'nis (from the past)

The Anime Thread

Stunned But Dumb

Toriyama has passed away. I'm actually hurt by this. I hope he rests in peace. I wish I were better with words for this situation, I just feel heartbroken

Sh4gg1

yeah...
Early Adopter

Toriyama has passed away. I'm actually hurt by this. I hope he rests in peace. I wish I were better with words for this situation, I just feel heartbroken

:depressedtako:

chihirogumi

:gurasemperfi::ameraintear:
My childhood...

Bozu

Those who sow in tears shall reap in joy.
Early Adopter

ValkyrieAce

in a toxic relationship with IRyS
Someone better go check on Mexico.

Negzana

I was really hoping I would hear this news when I was in my 30 or 40s. He was only 68. This is devastating. I can't even begin to say how important he was for my childhood.

RIP Toriyama

Last edited:

Sh4gg1

yeah...
Early Adopter

Now Yuji Horii is the only one left from the DQ trinity...

TL image:
horiiletter.jpg

Last edited:

Negzana

Now Yuji Horii is the only one left from the DQ trinity...

Dragon Quest XII must be the last game at this point. Horii is not that young himself and when he's gone it's all downhill from there. Thankfully he personally owns the company and his games are just published by SE. Theoretically he could give it to a successor who agrees to bury the series and ride on the coattails of what already exists.

Sithis

Dread Father
Early Adopter
I can't believe Proctor took a forced break from the site and Toriyama graduated from life what the fuck

(Macabre humor is how I deal with feeling like the paradise of my childhood has crumbled yet another stone)

Negzana

returntomonke

Unapoligetic sheep enjoyer

Not just in Mexico, my friend, but all across Latin America, Dragon Ball was a huge part of our childhoods. It's rare to find someone here who hasn't been swept up in the adventures of Goku and the Z fighters. When DBZ was airing, it was such a big deal that schools would actually pause classes because everyone, teachers included, was glued to the latest episode.

Every single intro to DB, DBZ, and even DBGT is iconic here; so many of us know the lyrics by heart. The voice actors have become legends in their own right, thanks to their roles in the Latin American dub. When Battle of Gods hit the theaters, everyone was scrambling to get tickets. And during the Tournament of Power, especially the Goku vs. Jiren showdown, it was like the whole country was watching. In Mexico, the government even showed it in public parks, copyright concerns be damned, and those places were packed like it was a major sporting event or a concert. Bars and even strip clubs got in on the action, offering specials tied to Goku's fate (free beers and lap dances).

As someone who's seen a few more years, I can say that Dragon Ball has been with me through every stage of my life. Watching reruns of DBZ doesn't make me feel like a grumpy old-timer; it takes me back to being a kid, sitting in front of the TV, rooting for Goku with all my heart.

Dragon Ball is more than just a show for us; it's a piece of our childhood. And Toriyama? He was like the cool babysitter we all shared, bringing these incredible stories into our lives

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman

:depressedtako:

Slutpuppies

unity love, resident luxiem fangull
The world is a less fun place with Akira Toriyama gone. Back when cartoons were just wacky, anime had all the stakes, and DBZ would always up the ante. He loved humor and action and fanservice, and I loved his work. I'm so grateful that he gave us nerds a shortcut to befriend each other, because if someone was talking about Dragon Ball, you knew they were your people.

May his memory be a blessing.

46gumi

Forever Siro's Punching Bag
Othet than Dragonball, this man also had a huge part in one of my favorite games of all time, Chrono Trigger.

RIP to a legend

:pomuSalute:

Stunned But Dumb

I was trying to put into words just how influential he is not just to media worldwide but even cultural norms outside of Japan. The stories he wrote, characters he created, and art style he personified is unmistakable for the bulk of the animation world and he has slipped his influences in storytelling of all kinds, even people who have never watched Dragon Ball or played Dragon Quest have benefited from the stuff he has written and probably don't even know it.

I wanted to get that out, I guess. Cringe, but I dunno

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
Waiting for Toriyama's Funeral Abridged.

The Rrat

Ratgirl-idol Connoisseur
Early Adopter
I was gonna make a joke like this, but it would have been purely a coping mechanism. DB was a huge part of my life too.

:pomuSalute: to a real one.

Bozu

Those who sow in tears shall reap in joy.
Early Adopter
Me lleva la chingada
View attachment GODDAMMIT-2l2awXfumOU.mp4

Watching Dragon Ball while eating dinner, and going to bed as the ending played in the background is one of my most cherished childhood memories, along with watching Goku transform into SSJ for the first time. At least I hope his death was quick and painless, such a Legend deserved that much at least.

It wasnt until I had access to the Internet that I realized how good LATAM had it with the sub and OSTs, how we managed to keep the original sons with a high quality dub to match

Last edited:

Shuba Saber

MPP
Early Adopter
Just the other day while shopping, I saw cereal boxes doing a Dragon Ball promotion with Goku and Vegeta on them and thought "Damn, anime has come this far. This wouldn't have happened 10-20 years ago." But the only reason that happened was because of this man and how inspirational Dragon Ball was to everybody. This is a loss not just for anime fans, but for the entire world. Just like so many other people, watching DB, DBZ and DBGT every Saturday was what got me through less fortunate times during my younger years. Playing DBFZ was one of the big ways I got through the COVID lockdown in 2020. Fuck man.

Just... fuck man. Thank you for everything you've done for us and rest in peace.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Not just in Mexico, my friend, but all across Latin America, Dragon Ball was a huge part of our childhoods. It's rare to find someone here who hasn't been swept up in the adventures of Goku and the Z fighters. When DBZ was airing, it was such a big deal that schools would actually pause classes because everyone, teachers included, was glued to the latest episode.

Every single intro to DB, DBZ, and even DBGT is iconic here; so many of us know the lyrics by heart. The voice actors have become legends in their own right, thanks to their roles in the Latin American dub. When Battle of Gods hit the theaters, everyone was scrambling to get tickets. And during the Tournament of Power, especially the Goku vs. Jiren showdown, it was like the whole country was watching. In Mexico, the government even showed it in public parks, copyright concerns be damned, and those places were packed like it was a major sporting event or a concert. Bars and even strip clubs got in on the action, offering specials tied to Goku's fate (free beers and lap dances).

As someone who's seen a few more years, I can say that Dragon Ball has been with me through every stage of my life. Watching reruns of DBZ doesn't make me feel like a grumpy old-timer; it takes me back to being a kid, sitting in front of the TV, rooting for Goku with all my heart.

Dragon Ball is more than just a show for us; it's a piece of our childhood. And Toriyama? He was like the cool babysitter we all shared, bringing these incredible stories into our lives
you say all that but don't post the video? that's ok because that means I get to.

Apperently alot of the 131 reactions are gone so settle for 130 i guess.

Toriyama did so much more then Dragonball Chrono Trigger Dragon Quest BLUE DRAGON even a zoo logo at one point

And that is not to speak on all the people who have cited him as an inspiration over the years i know those mangaka draw other mangaka styles were popular for a while and he showed up often and had a large number of people drawing his characters.

He will be missed is an understatement

Top Bottom