"Do you know what a 'Brony' is?"Ceres Fauna

Art of Clipping/Translations

The Rrat

Ratgirl-idol Connoisseur
Early Adopter
Does anyone have a good method of downloading parts of streams without downloading the whole source video? So basically only downloading the snippet you want for a clip.

Last edited:

Shuba Saber

MPP
Early Adopter
Does anyone have a good method of downloading parts of streams without downloading the whole source video? So basically only downloading the snippet you want for a clip.
Someone here recommended it before I've been using OBS to just record the parts I wanna clip. It's worked well with no issues so far and the quality is nice without having huge file sizes.

The Rrat

Ratgirl-idol Connoisseur
Early Adopter
Someone here recommended it before I've been using OBS to just record the parts I wanna clip. It's worked well with no issues so far and the quality is nice without having huge file sizes.
Well, the only issue with that is I want to clip multiple streams going back to 2021.
:BijouBijou:

I may have to just suck it up and download all the VODs. I can at least automate the download and cutting of the clips with ytdlp/ffmpeg, just wanted to see if I could cut down on the time spent downloading.

21st Century Pipkin Man

rabbit's foot, vomit drawer
Well, the only issue with that is I want to clip multiple streams going back to 2021.

I may have to just suck it up and download all the VODs. I can at least automate the download and cutting of the clips with ytdlp/ffmpeg, just wanted to see if I could cut down on the time spent downloading.
I'm certain you can do this with ytdlp/ffmpeg, here's what I'd written down for myself to use with ytdlp at some point. I had used it with Twitch, but I assume it works with YouTube:
--external-downloader ffmpeg --external-downloader-args "ffmpeg_i:-ss 04:42:00 -to 05:00:00"

GOD'S STRONGEST BUILDERBEAR

"Shut up, Dazzle. I will clip your balls" -SB
Early Adopter

yt-dlp [link] -format mp4 -download_sections "*[time from] - [time to]"

The Rrat

Ratgirl-idol Connoisseur
Early Adopter
I'm certain you can do this with ytdlp/ffmpeg, here's what I'd written down for myself to use with ytdlp at some point. I had used it with Twitch, but I assume it works with YouTube:
--external-downloader ffmpeg --external-downloader-args "ffmpeg_i:-ss 04:42:00 -to 05:00:00"
I looked into this more. Turns out ytdlp has a command "--download-segment". There is a forked version that can be used with "--live-from-start", too, that will let you clip live from streams.

Thanks all.

shipmate_F

menhera addicted sister
yt-dlp [link] -format mp4 -download_sections "*[time from] - [time to]"
For that I also add --force-keyframes-at-cuts before -download-sections so it doesn't get a snipet of audio with a frozen screen.

Top Bottom